Friday, February 1, 2013

Make it Happy to Last the Whole Night Long

For my past four years at Baylor, I have been involved with this thing called All University Sing.  My first year I was a member of Sing Alliance, a non-Greek organization that is amazing and allows for the whole university to participate.  Since then I have performed with Alpha Delta Pi, serving as a Sing chair last year.

Sing is important to me, has been, and will continue to be.  It has provided a creative outlet for me in which to pour those skills that I would have missed from high school.  It has allowed for me to grow more confidence in myself, both as a leader and as a person.  It has allowed for me to meet a lot of awesome people and to have a lot of amazing opportunities.  I've made some of my best friends through our bond for Sing.

However, Sing is not the most important thing in the world.  I think that Baylor students seem to think that the world goes on a break for January and February and that the whole world revolves around Sing.  But it doesn't.  Classes are still going on.  Other campus organizations are still going.  People are living and dying.  Other things are going on.  Life is happening.

The past three years my mind has gotten absolutely tangled with Sing.  It was literally all I could think about-- past acts, possible future acts, ways to improve our act, Sing drama, etc.  I would come out of Sing completely exhausted.  I would tell people I didn't want to talk about Sing, but then two minutes later I would find myself have an elaborate conversation on the same topic.

Another thing I have realized is that I'm generally less happy during the Spring semesters.  I'm not completely sure why this is, but I do think that it has to do somewhat with Sing.  Sing cuts into everything.  It cuts into my free time, my sleep time, my homework time, my friend time, my Jesus time.  I always feel the furthest from God after Sing because instead of him or things constructive to him, I am making Sing my idol.

But Sing is not the most important thing in the world.  Who wins Sing is not the most important thing in the world.  Making Pigskin is not the most important thing in the world.

If being a participant in Sing has taught me one thing, it is that the important things are the positive memories that you make.  The friendships you develop.  The fun you have with your brothers, sisters, and/or friends.  The entertainment you provide for hundreds.

But remember why you're at Baylor in the first place.  Is it so that you can perform on the stage during Homecoming?  Is it so that you can make entertainment?  No, the reason that you are at Baylor is for your education.  The learning is the most important thing.

I wish someone had told me that as a freshman.... I probably wouldn't have listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment