Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Work in Progress

I am a religion major, and I absolutely love it!  Last semester was my first semester in really getting to dive into it.  I took Christian ethics and Intro to Church History, and it was great to see what God taught me through those.  I became a lot more aware of the history of the church, different issues that the church has dealt with and is dealing with, and how Christianity impacts ways of looking at different issues.

This semester I am taking World Religions and Intro to New Testament.  I feel like these two classes go well together, because for both of them it requires me to be a little more open minded.  I also feel like questions that were arisen to me last semester that have been on my mind, are ones that are prevalent in these classes, and that is awesome!  Some of these questions include:  what are the similarities and differences between religions?  Can one examine a different religion and grasp it without joining in it?  Can someone be of two different religions?  What does this mean to be a person of faith studying different religions?

Also questions of textual criticism regarding the New Testament:  what is this?  How are we supposed to judge this and several more issues that are very interesting to me, but I can't formulate into a question at this point.

I think one of the reasons that I love my major so much is truth.  Everyone is searching for truth in life and wanting to know where it comes from.  But the reality is that you can't know everything.  You just have to have faith and trust in God that everything will one day make sense.  I love this!  I love learning about the Bible.  I love learning about the different Popes, Luther and Jonathan Edwards.  I love learning about different religions.  I love that there is always more to learn and more to discover.

That is something about my minor too... music.  I will never be the best, but I always want to learn and discover more about the instruments I am playing and the music I am reading.  There is always more to know and ways to improve myself, and that is never ending.

I am a work in progress, and I am so excited to keep on learning (even if sometimes I don't like to...). :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment