Thursday, May 10, 2012

Achromatic or Neutral

If you could ask Jesus anything, what would it be?

I saw a picture with this question on it on a website earlier, and it really got me to thinking.... what would I ask Jesus if I could ask him one question face-to-face?

With all the current hype going on in the country, my question would probably be something a long the times of, "Is homosexuality a sin?" Just right upfront with it!

Then I got to thinking how Jesus would answer this.  It would probably be something ambiguous, like a parable, or a statement like, "What do you say it is?" or "What do I say it is?" (Jesus speaks nothing about homosexuality btw).

Not particularly helpful, but that's how Jesus often answered the people He personally came in contact with, and I kind of think that's how He answers us today.  Because maybe the answer isn't always black or white... and maybe God wants it to be that way for a reason.

We live in a culture where we want things to be finite, decisive, and concrete.  We want things to be black and white.  What if, just maybe, God wants us to think about things and maybe not reach a concrete answer?  What if his answer, when it all boils down to it, is to trust him.  As Christians we believe that God is all knowing, all knowing, all loving, and all wise.  And this doesn't go with just the homosexuality question.  It also brings me to think about the future a lot.  It reminds me of that saying, "God always answers prayers, just sometimes he answers, 'no', or 'wait".

Maybe we should just give him a little bit more control, and trust him in the grey.


No comments:

Post a Comment