Friday, May 4, 2012

The stars at night are big and bright

I love Texas.  I have lived in the Lone Star State since I was 5.  Before then I lived in New Jersey and Maryland, but I don't really remember it.  I have little memories of snow... but other than that there isn't much.  I fit the cliche saying, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!"  My brother fits it better though; he was literally 3 months old when my family moved here!

I love Texas, but a lot of typical Texas stuff it has taken me a while to adjust to, being born a Yankee and all.  I don't own cowboy boots, although I really want some.  They're just super expensive!  Last semester I went to a western semi-formal wearing boots that fit, but they didn't have quite the same effect.  This past summer I started to like country music... I used to hate it.  I've started playing guitar in the last few months.  I drive all over Texas!  I35 and I are besties!  During the month of October I was in Austin the first weekend, Dallas the second, San Antonio the third, and Waco the forth... not to mention other places I've driven over the past year.

I love Texas.  I love looking out over the hills as I'm driving and just enjoying God's creation!  I love the heat (crazy yes), the bluebonnets, the Christian culture, and the barbeque.  I would not trade growing up here at all!

However, one this that I have grown to hate is that I feel like I'm thrown into a box.  Now this doesn't have to do with Texas specifically, but Texas/Baylor/Republican land/Bible belt/going into ministry....

People assume that because of all those things, that I have specific views on things.  No, just because I am a Christian, go to Baylor, and am a religion major does not mean that I hate homosexuality.  In fact, I don't.  I have a lot of good friends that are homosexual, and am pro gay marriage because of the separation of church and state.  Then it's the church's decision to marry them or not.  I am pro-choice... I don't think the government should have a say in whether I choose to abort a child or not, although I personally cannot see myself doing that.  And honestly, much to my friends and family's disdain, I am between liberal and conservative on economic issues.

I am not a republican.  I am not your typical southern Baptist Christian.  Going to Baylor has actually just made me more liberal.

I love Texas, I really really do.  I want to get married and raise a family here.  But at this stage in my life, I want to get out.  I want to experience more of the world and not be stuck inside this Christian bubble.  Don't get me wrong, I love it... it's just time to get my wings out and fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment